Monday, May 21, 2012

Scallop and lobster tail Rigatoni



How is Monday treating you all? As for me, the heat is scorching unmercifully today, especially where I live because it is very near the mountain. It could get very hot during the day, to almost triple digits today. My poor AC is really being overworked :(.
It was such a busy day for just staying at home. I was on my feet the whole day, cooking breakfast, doing several loads of laundry, cleaning the house, mopping the floor, vacuuming the carpet, packing for the trip next weekend, feeding my little son, picking up my other son from school, giving them bath, cooking dinner, baking a cake.... Oh my, I think I'm way busier than when I am at work. Well, that's how I usually spend my Monday anyway. Why even bother to complain now, right?
Anyway, yesterday we went to Nordstrom to look for a pair of sandals for me. We had brunch at the Nordstrom Cafe. My husband tried their today-special menu which was jumbo shrimp and scallop penne pasta. He loved the taste and flavor, but the portion was quite small, so I think it didn't really satisfy his appetite. So I went to Trader's Joe and got some of those jumbo scallops, mushroom and a box of rigatoni. We got some lobster tails in the freezer, so I substituted it for the shrimp (even better right?).
Creamy dishes are usually not my cup of tea. But I have to say this pasta dish today got me and I had to make an exception for it. My little son can't stop eating it. He finished all of his portion (although with none of the scallops or lobsters). As for my husband, of course, he loved it!





Ingredients:

1. 1 box of Rigatoni (or any pasta shapes you like)
2. 1 bag of jumbo scallops (about 10-12 scallops)
3. 2 lobster tails (or jumbo shrimp or any other seafood that suit your taste)
4. 1 box of baby portobello mushroom (cleaned, halved)
5. 1/2 pint of heavy cream (240ml)
6. 1 1/2 cups of milk (2%)
7. 10 cloves of garlic (minced and divided into 3 portions)
8. 1 tsp of all-purpose flour, grated Parmesan cheese, 
9. A couple sprigs of thyme, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 tsp of mushroom seasoning (optional), 1 tsp of sugar, black pepper, garlic powder, olive oil, butter

- In large pot, bring water to boil and cook the rigatoni accordingly until al dente. Do not rinse and  drizzle with some olive oil.
- In a small saucepan, add butter (1/2 stick) and 1/3 of the minced garlic, chopped thyme until fragrant. Add all-purpose flour and mix well. Add in the heavy cream, milk and bring to just boil then lower the heat to simmer. Season with salt, mushroom seasoning and sugar. Keep warm.
- Rinse the scallops and lobster tail (cut lobster tail into 1 inch cube), pat dry, season with sprinkle of salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Pan-sear the scallop (don't crowd the pan) and the lobster tail separately and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add a couple tsp of olive oil, add 1/3 of the minced garlic and mushroom. Saute the mushroom until brown, season with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add some butter or olive oil and the remaining minced garlic with chopped thyme. Once become fragrant, add in the cooked rigatoni. Mix well to combine and subsequently add in the cream sauce mixture, the saute mushrooms. Cook for about 3-5 minutes and remove from heat. Transfer to a plate and top it off with seared scallops and lobster tails. Garnish with chopped thyme and sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately and pair it with some good white wine. Bon appetito!


 














1 comment:

  1. Googled "scallops and rigatoni" and your recipe came up. Boy am I glad! Made tonight for my birthday dinner and it was great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...