Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chicken Glass Noodle soup (Mien Ga) and Chicken rice



 Well it's chicken time again! My apology if it seems like we've been consuming to much chicken lately. But since it was given to me, it was up to me to turn it into some edible dish for my little family :)
The chicken is a free-range chicken so it's a lot leaner and the meat is a tad chewier than the mass-produced caged chicken that we usually see at the super market. It was a small bird, so it was perfect for me and my hubby.  And you know what the best part is? From a small bird I've turned into two delicious dishes, Mien Ga for me and Com Ga for my hubby and the kids!
Since I've  previously posted the recipe for the Com Ga, I won't bore you again with the details. I will just go briefly over the steps for the Mien Ga and you can refer back to my Com Ga post for the recipe if you are interested.




Ingredients:

1. 1 small free-range chicken
2. 1 small onion (cleaned and peeled)
3. 1 small knob of ginger (cleaned and peeled)
4.  Glass noodle (mien or bun tau)
5. 1 small piece of rock sugar, salt, bot nem, fish sauce
6. Fried shallot (hanh phi)
7. Green onion (chopped), cilantro (chopped), lime wedges, red chili, black pepper





In a large stock pot, place the cleaned chicken and add enough water to submerge the chicken. Drop in the whole onion and the ginger. Season with salt, rock sugar, bot nem and fish sauce. Bring to boil on high heat for about 40-45 minutes and skim off the dirty foam occasionally. 


Remove the chicken from the pot and submerge it in a tub of cold water. Once the chicken has cooled off, de-bone and shred the chicken. Place the bone back into the broth and continue to simmer for extra flavor. Adjust the seasoning of the broth to your taste.
Soak the glass noodle in hot water until soften. Before serving, place noodle in the bowl, top with shredded chicken. Pour over the broth and garnish with chopped green onion, cilantro, red chili, black pepper. Squeeze in a few drops of lime juice and enjoy!
 

Note: You can use the same broth to cook the rice as posted in previous entry of Hainam chicken rice


 Voila!!! One stone two birds (Well in this case, one bird two dishes....hehehe)


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...