Thursday, May 3, 2012

Escargot


Escargot, a French delicacy that you must at least try once in your life.  I know what you are thinking, but hold the thought until you have tried it.  I'm not trying to trick you into eating some bizarre food, but this is truly a delectable delicacy that you must consider. 

In Vietnam, snails are being eaten as snacks or appetizers. We use it to cook in some of the main dishes such as "Bun rieu", "Bun oc", "Cha oc" or just simply steam it with some lemongrass stalks and lime leaves to create a wonderful aroma and serve hot with the gingerly fish sauce. 

I don't remember how I got introduced into eating snails, but it has always been one of my favorite snacks since I was just a little girl. So the idea of eating escargot has never been a strange concept to me. When I encountered the French escargot, I immediately fell in love with this delicious delicacy.

Fortunately, my hubby is also a fan of escargot (both Vietnamese and French styles), so I've decided to experiment this appetizer dish in my kitchen.  And the verdict from my judge: "The best escargot I've ever had!".  The melt-in-your-mouth texture of the escargot coated in the creamy and garlicky sauce combines with the crunch of the buttery toast creating an out-of-this-world flavor that just makes your taste buds very happy.  My husband finished almost 2 plates like the one seen in the picture and barely saved me some.... But that's alright since the joy of my cooking  is to see my food put a smile on someone face, especially my loved ones and that is priceless!



Ingredients:

1. 1 can of escargot (about 7 oz, you can buy it online or at some French markets)
2. 2 tsp of pesto sauce
3. 1 clove of garlic (minced)
4. 1 tsp of All-purpose flour
5. 1/4 cup of heavy cream
6. 1/4 cup of white wine or sake
7. Freshly ground pepper, 1 pinch of salt, sugar
8. Parmesan cheese, 2-3 tbsp butter

Rinse the escargot well and soak in water for 5-10 minutes to eliminate the can taste. Drain and pat dry in paper towel.
Mix together the flour, cream and wine or sake until smooth, season with black pepper and a pinch of salt and sugar.
In a small saucepan at high heat, add butter and garlic, stir until fragrant then add in the escargot. Saute for about 1 minute and add in the cream mixture, lower the heat to medium. When the sauce becomes thicken, remove from heat and spoon it into the bake-ware of your choice.  Sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven at 325F for about 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and turns golden brown. Served hot with some baguette toasts as an appetizer and a glass of Sauvignon. Bon appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...