Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sweet crescent rolls


 
I hope everyone has a great weekend. As for me, it was such a busy weekend since I got company over at my house. I've been cooking nonstop since the weekend started, but everyone had such a great time getting together and enjoyed the feast. So all the hard works were paid off when I received many positive compliments from my guests.
I have been such a busy bee lately that I almost forgot I have a blog to write to. This post is way overdue because I made these yummy rolls many weeks ago. Thanksgiving is literally right around the corner, so I try to set aside sometimes today to post this recipe up for everyone to try these soft and delightful rolls. You can serve them as dinner rolls or save the leftovers for a quick snack later on. My boys enjoyed these for breakfast almost every morning and my picky husband also adored them. So I hope you will love them too and Happy Thanksgiving all!
 
 
INGREDIENTS: (Adapted from bepnha with some modifications)

- 550g bread flour
- 100g sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 200g warm milk (110F)
- 2.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 100g soft unsalted butter at room temp
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- egg wash (1 egg yolk + 2 tsp water or oil)
 
 METHOD:

- Add yeast, 1/2 of the warm milk, 1 tsp sugar mix well with a wooden spoon and set aside for about 10 minutes until the mixture becomes foamy. 
- To the yeast mixture, add 50g of the bread flour, mix well with  a spoon or by hands until all incorporated then cover and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining milk and egg together
- Add the remaining bread flour, sugar, salt, butter into the egg/milk mixture and the yeast/flour mixture.
- Knead the dough in the Kitchen Aid stand mixer until the dough becomes smooth and elastic (about 20 minutes at number 4 speed).
- Cover the dough and proof it for about 1 hour until it's double in size.

- Punch down the dough once it has double in size, knead it briefly to release some of the gas inside the dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and work on one at a time. 
- Roll out the dough into a flat, round circle about 16 inches in diameter. Use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into 12 equal triangles.


- Make a small slit at the base of the triangle with a pizza slicer, then roll it up into a crescent shape.
- Continue to work through the dough until everything is finished, then line them up on the baking sheets (make sure to leave enough spaces in between). 
- Loosely cover the rolls and let them proof for another 30 minutes.


- Preheat the oven to 375F, brush the egg wash evenly on top of each roll.
- Bake the rolls for 12-14 minutes until gold brown.


- These rolls are best when they are fresh out of the oven, but a quick warm up in the toaster oven will also do the trick on the next day.


ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...