Saturday, October 27, 2012

Brazilian cheese bread (Pao de Queijo)



Today, spaghetti and meatballs were on for the dinner menu and I was thinking of making some quick breads to go with it. I didn't really want to make the traditional garlic breads because, first of all, I don't have any baguettes at home, and to make it would be too long of an adventure. Then I remembered that I still have a bag of tapioca flour in my pantry and a bag of shredded Swiss and Gruyere cheese in the fridge. Voila, problem solved!!! Brazilian cheese breads or Pao de queijo, here they come!
I first tried these addicting cheese breads at a Brazilian Churrascaria, aka, Brazilian steakhouse where they are traditionally served as dinner rolls along side with the steaks. But I agreed with my husband that these little chewy breads are good with any dishes and also perfectly scrumptious on its own. These cheese puffs are best when they are served hot, fresh out of the oven, where the outside is nice and crispy while the inside is chewy and amazingly soft. Pop one in your mouth and I guarantee you won't want to stop there.  The best part is that it takes no time to prepare and super easy to make. Just thirty minutes of your busy life and  you will be rewarded with these addicting little goodness.

Source adapted from Simply Recipes
Makes 16

INGREDIENTS:

1 egg, at room temperature
1/3 cup olive oil (or canola oil)
2/3 cup milk
Scant 1 1/2 cups of tapioca flour (I used Bob's Red Mill brand) 
1/2 cup (packed) grated cheese of your choice (Parmesan, Gruyere, mozzarella or cheddar cheese)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
METHOD:

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a mini-muffin tin generously. Put all of the ingredients into a blender and pulse until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender so that everything gets blended well. At this point you can store the batter in the refrigerator for up to a week.


Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until all puffy and just lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for a few minutes. Eat while warm or save to reheat later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...