Thursday, July 26, 2012

Durian ice cream


This weather is just so perfect for some cool, soothing desserts such as ice creams. I was looking to buy a new ice cream maker for quite sometimes now because with my old one I had to crank it manually to really work for my sweet treat.  When my mother-in-law heard that I'm looking for one, she came like a fairy making my wish came true. She gave me her brand new ice cream machine that she bought sometimes ago but hasn't had a chance to use it. Thank you mom, now what flavor is your favorite? Durian perhaps? She loves durians and I happen to have a bag of frozen durian in my freezer that I've been saving to make some desserts with. This is just perfect timing! I get to try out my new "toy" and also try out the new recipe for this decadent and exotic treat. I love this recipe, simply because of its simplicity, where only 4 ingredients needed, and the short prepping time that it requires. The ending product is a very smooth and creamy treat, just what I need to cool down in this scorching heat.
If you are not familiar with durians, you may think why on earth would anyone want to eat such a bizarre and stinky fruit like that. But if you can pass through the intense smell of this fruit, it tastes quite good with the sweet and creamy texture. This tropical fruit is quite popular in South East Asia region. In Vietnam, they are grown abundantly and people adore this fruit through out the country. It definitely is an acquired taste delicacy, and not everyone can adapt to the strong fragrant that is sometimes described as "rotten onions".  As I adore and appreciate the existence of this fruit, my husband and kids despite it as much because of that very smell. My oldest son passed by the kitchen island where I'm prepping my stuffs and asked "Mom, what's that stinky smell?" while pinching his nose tightly with his fingers. Well I can't force them to like what I like because I know it will take a lot of courage to try it if you are not immune to the smell like me. But I hope someday, I will be able to get them try and come to like it. I know it's a bit of a long stretch of my imagination, but in the mean time, that means more for me!:)




(Recipe adapted from Grace Kitchen Corner)

Ingredients:

1. 300g for durian (either fresh or frozen)
2. 120g of sugar (original recipe asked for 60g, but I find it not sweet enough, so I double the amount of sugar)
3. 130g of plain yogurt
4. 200g of whipping cream (about 8oz)




Remove seeds from the durian meat, and place it with sugar in a food processor and puree for 1 minute until they are finely mixed and become a smooth paste. Transfer the durian meat into a cleaned, large bowl and mix in the yogurt . Whip the cream in a stand mixer until stiff and carefully fold into the durian/yogurt mixture. If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can store this as it in an airtight container in the freezer. If you do own an ice cream maker and wish to improve the texture of the ice cream, then process it in the ice cream maker according to 
the manufacture's instructions.
Either way, with or without the ice cream maker, the product needs to be chilled for at least 5 hours or overnight for a more improved and firmer texture.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...