Monday, May 14, 2012

Banana Pancake and Omelet




I hope everyone enjoyed the Mother's day weekend, either with your mom or as a mom yourself. The weather has been exceptionally nice and warm lately,  and since it is my usual Monday off,  I whipped up some pancake for breakfast to start my beautiful day. In a way, I'm celebrating my Mother's day a day later to make up for my working weekend. 

I rarely make breakfast at home unless it's my day off. Even if I make breakfast, I usually make buttermilk waffles because my oldest likes it. Pancake is something that I only make once in a blue moon. And even if I do make it, I usually use the store-bought mix. However, I don't know what got into me today, I felt like whipping up a batch straight from scratch.  And so I did! About an hour later, sitting my backyard with a cup of freshly brewed coffee and a plate of banana pancake with omelet in front of me, I am enjoying my Monday morning with my gorgeously blooming garden. I hope you are enjoying your Monday too!


Ingredients: 
(Recipes adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover)
 1. 150g of self-raising flour (I use All-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp of double-acting baking powder)
2 . 60g of castor sugar
3. 1/4 tsp of salt
4. 2 eggs (separate yolks from the whites)
5. 110 ml of milk
6. 1 &1/2 tbsp of oil
7. Chocolate chips (if you are making chocolate pancake) or banana (for banana pancake)

- Combine flour, 1/2 of the sugar, and salt in one bowl
- Add in milk, oil and egg yolks, use the hand whisk to stir well.
- In a hand mixer, place egg white in the bowl, add in the rest of the sugar and beat until stiff peak.
- Fold the meringue into the flour batter until combined. (you can add in chocolate chips after this step if you are making chocolate pancake)
- In a non-stick pan (non-greasing), spoon in a small ladle of batter (about 4-5 inches in diameter). Add banana slices on the surface of one side and pan fry until golden brown on both sides. Serve with maple syrup and butter.


 

For the simple omelet (serve 2): 
Whisk 4 eggs with 3 tbsp of milk and 2 tbsp of water, 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp bot nem (Vietnamese seasoning). Add 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan, pour in the egg mixture and fold the egg in quarter once the bottom has set. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and serve with the pancakes

 Enjoy the simple breakfast with the view of my blooming flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...